The Student News Site of Archbishop Mitty High School

The Monarch

The Monarch

The Monarch

Water Polo: An Awaited Resurgence

Mitty’s Water Polo team has had a memorable past few seasons, but how did they go from struggles to success?
#2 Luke Lajeunesse

Last year Mitty’s Men’s Water Polo team made it to the finals of CCS, and they plan on doing the same this year.

In recent months, the Men’s Water Polo team has demonstrated more dedication to the sport than ever, engaging in club water polo activities most of the academic year. Regardless of the season, water polo has remained in session, with dedicated efforts throughout the year. For example, many players have been playing during the winter, spring, and even summer. What’s unique is that many team members have chosen to participate in the school’s very own water polo club, exclusively composed of Mitty water polo players. This decision creates a more dynamic team experience and better communication among teammates. Water polo requires excellent swimming speed and coordination to not only tread water but also catch the ball while doing so. The ability to move swiftly through the water, maintain that pace, and outlast opponents during intense matches can mean the difference between victory and defeat. Although swimming speed is an important aspect of the sport, it’s more about the blending of swimming skills, awareness, and physical endurance that sets water polo players apart. Because of that,many students on the water polo team have also elected to take part in the swim team.

Junior Wolf Foldenauer says that his “stroke for freestyle has definitely improved and has gotten faster,” since he joined the club. Engaging in year-round swimming helps the team improve their foundational skills, making them better water polo players, and ensuring they are thoroughly prepared when water polo season starts.

Apart from the extra practice, the team has stepped up their team bonding as well, consistently re-sharing posts on their Instagram accounts and commenting emojis on every post to indicate their new games or victories from recent tournaments. “This shows our excitement and support for all of our teammates,” said junior Lucas Sampson.

However, it’s not just their social bonds that have strengthened, the team has also made significant improvements to its roster itself. Most notably, the team now has 3 goalies, compared to just 2 last year when they fell 12-7 to Gunn at the CCS Championships. This year, the team hopes to expand upon their recent success as they continue to develop their skills. In terms of specific goals, the team hopes to “communicate better, swim faster, and go to CCS,” says Foldenauer. 

In recent weeks, the team won at the Spartan Tournament against tough competitors such as Santa Cruz and Woodside, and defeated Serra in a league game. These successes have added a fresh wave of optimism into the team’s spirit. As they continue their journey late season, the team continues to demonstrate a collective effort, showing that even the most challenging of sports can be conquered together. Most importantly, they haven’t dwelled on any losses, which allows them to maintain a clear headspace as they focus on winning their future matches. The team’s resurgence to success has been long awaited, and this current season is only the beginning of a promising future.