It’s Better to Marry Later

As cultural norms and perspectives shift, and different parts of life get more expensive, many are making the right call and choosing to marry later in life when they are more financial established and stable. This could be the best choice for the newer generations.

Sean Lee, Staff Writer

Marriage: the perfect union of two people ready to spend the rest of their lives together. Although marriage has typically been something that youth fantasize about, the marrying age is increasing, especially among millennials. By allowing for financial stability and career success to be established, marrying later is the new and improved choice for many today. 

Marriage was once seen for many as essential. However, marriage is diminishing in its popularity as for a number of reasons. According to the US census, the average marriage age for men and women are 30 and 28 respectively, compared to 24 and 20 in the 1950s, a time with far more specified gender roles. As the millennials prepare to tie the knot, it is becoming evident that later marriages have many beneficial effects.

Despite being the single wealthiest country in the world, young people have a plethora of financial issues stemming from student debt, job loss, and mental health challenges. According to the Principal Foundation, in 2020, more than half of those surveyed under the age of 30 said they’d already hit the financial “rock bottom” and these barriers were only exacerbated by the Covid-19 pandemic. Because of this, people are choosing to prioritize their financial stability before marriage. Additional costs include weddings, honeymoons, and raising a family. Wedding costs specifically have risen to an average of approximately $34,000 in 2021, and the average cost of raising a child to age 18 has jumped from $233,610 in 2015 to around $272,049 in 2022. Growing financial struggles coupled with rising costs of marriage and children are a primary factor for later marriages.

Wedding costs specifically have risen to an average of approximately $34,000 in 2021, and the average cost of raising a child to age 18 has jumped from $233,610 in 2015 to around $272,049 in 2022.

Because building a relationship takes time, many will choose to stay single to avoid spending much-needed time on relationships and instead focus their efforts on their career. According to a study done by Hill Holliday, a marketing agency, and Origin, a market research company, 44% of single women ranked “living on your own,” 34% ranked “establishing a career,” and 27% ranked “financial stability” as a top priority (more than one “top priority” could be chosen). A more successful career is usually linked to more financial stability, career success, and consistent work experience. Therefore, most working individuals will wait until their career and financial levels are comfortable to marry, a strategic choice sure to benefit them in the long run. 

Marriage’s symbolism as a sign of power is diminishing in the face of social acceptance of unconventional forms of relationships, and so many millenials and Gen Z’ers are starting to marry later and later, and this trend is sure to be seen in the future as well. As financial stability and career success continue to be top priorities, it is safe to say that the trend of later marriages will remain and extend far into the future as well.