Ready for the Madness: The MMXXXI Themes, Reviewed

Reviews of the media that each Monarch Madness theme is based on

February 20, 2022

Four classes. Four themes. Are you ready for the madness? In celebration of Mitty’s 31st edition of Monarch Madness, we watched and reviewed the four pieces of media that inspired each class’ theme: Jumanji, Money Heist, A Quiet Place, and Kingsman: The Secret Service.

Jumanji: Welcome to 2025’s Jungle

By Clara Schultz

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017)

Like Spencer, Fridge, Martha, and Bethany in the action-filled comedy Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, the class of 2025 has had to navigate their own kind of “jungle” this year, which will be showcased in their upcoming Monarch Madness debut. Based on the original 1995 movie, the 2017 remake turned the board game Jumanji into a video game that transports its players into a world where time is hard to predict. While serving detention, four high school students discover the game, try it out (because what high schooler doesn’t love a video game?), and end up trapped in the jungle world of Jumanji in the bodies of their in-game characters.

Three lives per player. Three daunting challenges. The goal: to return the “Jaguar’s Eye” jewel stolen by Professor Russell Van Pelt to a statue and call out “Jumanji.” Seeing as Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle hints at themes of exploration, conquest, and humor, it is a perfect fit for the freshmen class. Handling a new school and community has never been easy, but after a year and a half of virtual middle school, it’s never been more difficult. Thus, the freshmen have taken this year to explore the campus, meet new people, and take on the challenge of upholding the high expectations of the Mitty community.

Sophomores Take on a Money Heist

By Jinny Kim

Money Heist (La casa de papel)

How would you execute a heist from the Royal Mint of Spain? Eight robbers, led by the mysterious mastermind known as “The Professor,” answer this question in the Spanish television series Money Heist (La casa de papel). Clad in the iconic Salvador Dalí masks and red jumpsuits, the code-named robbers (Tokyo, Moscow, Berlin, Nairobi, Rio, Denver, Helsinki, and Oslo) take over the Mint and attempt to print €2.4 billion as part of their elaborate plan—albeit with twists, turns, and internal conflict.

Money Heist stands out with its elements of black comedy and its often playful tone. The robbers, complex and (mostly) likeable, bring their own charisma and distinctive personalities to the heist. The somewhat lighthearted mindset of the characters reflect that of the sophomores, who have the experience of being in their second year of high school yet the excitement of finally being on campus alongside the other classes. Though the robbers’ unpredictable heist inevitably has stressful and dark moments, one thing sticks: their ability to have fun and enjoy themselves.

Junior Year’s Infamous Quiet Place

By Clara Schultz

A Quiet Place (2018)

Isolated in the middle of a forest, a pregnant mother, a stern father, a deaf daughter, and two sons are forced into suspenseful silence. Early on in A Quiet Place, the family loses their youngest son to a population of creatures that detect any and all forms of sound. Knowing that even the lowest voice could lead any one of them to death, the family must proceed to live with caution; the father especially limits the actions of his daughter, who rebels. Absence of water rapids, ambient noise, or soundproof walls, the only way the family can effectively communicate is through the use of sign language.

As we curiously await the junior class’s portrayal of A Quiet Place in Monarch Madness, we may contemplate the choice of a film with such minimal dialogue. Junior year is so often deemed the hardest year of high school, filled with a busy schedule, a rigorous workload, and a suspenseful start to the college search. For the students of the class of 2023, A Quiet Place absolutely parallels their current lifestyle—quiet, weary, and full of anticipation. And just as the family is fighting an uphill battle against the creatures, the juniors are coming off of two consecutive fourth place finishes in Monarch Madness. Will they finally get revenge (with sportsmanship, of course)?

The Class of 2022’s Secret Service

By Jinny Kim

Colin Firth as Harry Hart in Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014)

Manners maketh man. Senioritis maketh seniors.

Kingsman: The Secret Service follows main character Eggsy’s recruitment and training into Kingsman: a secret spy organization dedicated to protecting the world, complete with their trademark uniform of a suit and tie, thick-rimmed glasses, and an umbrella that doubles as a weapon and shield. Once initiated, Eggsy has to join a mission to stop billionaire Richmond Valentine from eliminating all of humanity in an effort to avert climate change. You know, just a regular Chewsday, innit?

With heavy British accents and dark humor, Kingsman manages to pull off absurd plotlines and campy action sequences with style and flair. There isn’t a single scene that lacks the distinctive wit and fiery dialogue that’s characteristic of the Kingsman franchise. Eggsy, his allies, and his enemies are free-spirited and wonderfully eccentric; the action-packed fight scenes are elaborate, surprisingly funny, and keep you on your toes. As the students with three years of high school experience under their belt, the seniors will undoubtedly embody the fun spirit of Kingsman. Much like how Eggsy is plucked out of his “normal” life to join Kingsman, we’ll watch how the seniors will make their transition into adulthood and life beyond high school.

The Monarch • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in