400 New Books and More: Changes to the Mitty Library

An overview of a few new changes to the Mitty library in the 2021-2022 school year

Before school, during an off period, or during lunch, it is typical to see students rushing off to the library to finish their homework. Students often crowd around the printers before the next class, or at the front desk to borrow a study room—but beyond its study rooms and printers, the library holds countless resources ready to be explored. Since the welcome of our new library staff members Ms. Tiffani Lewis-Lockhart and Mr. Heffernan-Zelaya, many changes have recently been implemented in the library that add value to the central role of the library: a resource to support students’ education.

The library’s interactive iPad display during Banned Books Week. A padlet displayed banned books with captions that summarized the book as well as the reason which it was challenged.

One such change is Banned Books Week, which took place for one week in September. Ms. Lewis-Lockhart, the head librarian, explains its origins: “Because libraries, bookstores, and schools have always had books that get challenged, a group of librarians got together and decided, ‘We’re gonna bring awareness to all the censorship that is happening and these book challenges that are happening all over the country.’ It started off as something really small and now it’s gotten really big.” 

The interactive iPad display, another meaningful implementation, serves the purpose of getting people well informed about the library. As Ms. Lewis-Lockhart describes, “It’s just another way for people to get their information. I really want to encourage people to get involved.” This display is kept at the front of the library for students to share their input about a change to the library or learn about library events. During Banned Books Week, for instance, the display contained a padlet with information for students to peruse. Similarly, the iPad display included a map detailing where Hispanic authors originated to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month from September 15 to October 15.

Among the other new programs for Hispanic Heritage Month was a booklist, including both physical books and e-books. “I always do a booklist whenever some sort of awareness or heritage month comes up,” Ms. Lewis-Lockhart explains. All around the library, there are a variety of books that were a part of the booklist for heritage month. This addition is not only meant to bring awareness to different heritage months, but also to draw attention to these works.

I hadn’t really understood what a great resource the library was until college, and I really want students to go to college knowing how to use the library as effectively as possible and to understand its benefit as much as possible.

— Mr. Michael Heffernan-Zelaya, Library Specialist

From the graphic novels, Mr. Heffernan-Zelaya, the Library Specialist, suggests for people to read Manuelito . . . and Stitches. He adds, “I feel like Mitty students are always super busy, so reading graphic novels is something that I would recommend to any Mitty student.” The graphic novel is just one genre of over 400 new books that have recently been introduced to the library; others genres include fantasy, sci-fi, horror, and romance, all contributing to higher circulation. Students and staff visiting the library in hopes of discovering a new read now have access to hundreds of books across numerous genres. 

With new opportunities and access to educational resources, the library encompasses more than just a study environment. For those who have not yet explored the new resources that have been added, Mr. Heffernan-Zelaya comments, “I hadn’t really understood what a great resource the library was until college, and I really want students to go to college knowing how to use the library as effectively as possible and to understand its benefit as much as possible.” Ms. Lewis-Lockhart adds, “Most of the time, people are surprised by the things they can find here.”