Hot Take: Pineapple on Pizza is NOT It

Pineapple does not belong on pizza and diminishes one’s eating experience.

Chidubem Nwosu, Staff Writer

After a long week of school, many of us cannot wait until Friday night to enjoy time off-campus with some friends. So imagine this…you’re going out with your friends to MOD pizza after a football game when one of your friends brings back a pizza…with pineapple on it. You look in horror. At least that’s what I did because seriously—how many times do people have to say it?! Sweet and savory is nonexistent! 

Yes, I know this is controversial, but there’s really not much to argue about. Just think about it! A traditional pizza consists of rolled-out dough with primarily marinara sauce and cheese…and you want to mix that with a piece of fruit? That’s like watermelon and pesto—it just doesn’t make any sense! Even worse, baking pineapple into the pizza results in its juice seeping through the layers of the pizza, affecting the texture, and in some cases, contributing to a soggy pizza. 

Most importantly, Hawaiian pizza is just an Americanized version of a traditional Italian pizza. When it emerged in the latter half of the 20th century–a full century after the Italians had coined pizza as one of their cultural foods–Italians were very confused. To all you Hawaiian pizza lovers, try going to Italy and asking for pineapple on your pizza…that should be interesting. 

So the next time you go out to get pizza with your friends on a Friday night, or any night for that matter, remember…pineapple on pizza is just NOT it.