The Student News Site of Archbishop Mitty High School

The Monarch

The Monarch

The Monarch

Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2: Did It Live Up To The Hype?

A behind the scenes look of what went into Jujutsu Kaisen S2.

When the first season of the anime Jujutsu Kaisen came out in 2020, it was an instant hit, earning worldwide acclaim as one of the best modern anime. With fans and critics alike praising its story, unique art style, and incredible animation by Studio MAPPA, the second season of the popular franchise became one of the most anticipated anime of the Summer 2023 season. Now that the second season has run its course, the question is posed: Did Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2 live up to its hype?

Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2 ran for two continuous hours, covering the manga’s “Hidden Inventory/Premature Death” and “Shibuya Incident” story arcs.  The former, a prequel arc, occurs a decade before the events of the main series and gives context to the events of the movie Jujutsu Kaisen 0.  Showcasing fan-favorite character Satoru Gojo along with his best friend Suguru Geto, the season highlights the pair’s relationship during their high school years. “Hidden Inventory” drew praise for its character development, specifically Geto’s tragic fall to villainy and Gojo’s rise to become the strongest. The first five episodes flaunted Studio MAPPA’s novel art style and animation, which was bright and lighthearted compared to the first season.

In contrast, the second cour, the “Shibuya Incident,” showcased a darker and heavier style reflective of its tone. The remaining eighteen episodes of the season adapted the infamous showdown between the protagonists and villains in the Shibuya ward of Tokyo. Rather than focusing on the plot like the first cour did, the emphasis was put on the constant action and chaos. The arc flows from fight scene to fight scene, keeping viewers at the edge of their seats. While the fast pace causes a lack of breathing room and character development, studio MAPPA still delivers with its now-trademark tremendous animation. Two episodes in particular, Thunderclap and Thunderclap Part 2, highlight the jaw-dropping visuals, with both receiving a 9.8/10 audience rating on IMDb.  

Unfortunately, the spectacular animation came at the cost of MAPPA’s talented animators; the studio is under fire for underpaying its workers and its “factory-like” conditions. In a now-deleted X (formerly Twitter) post, an animation director noted one episode was merely “30% of the intended vision.” Despite this, the hard-working animators still managed to create what I believe to be one of the best action scenes in anime history. The studio must improve working conditions for future projects.

All in all, Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2 definitely lived up to its hype. With a 91% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes as well as being nominated for seventeen out of thirty-two awards for Crunchyroll’s Anime Awards 2024, where the show 11 awards, including Anime of the Year, best action, best opening sequence, and best supporting character, further establishing its dominance in the entertainment industry.

The anime was the most in-demand TV series in the world in 2023! So whether you are someone new to anime or a long-time fan, Jujutsu Kaisen is definitely a series worth looking into.