The Student News Site of Archbishop Mitty High School

The Monarch

The Monarch

The Monarch

Swimming: Teamwork through Individualism

Despite swimming being an individual sport by definition, it’s everything the Mitty Swim Team does together that is the heart of their identity.

When we think of sports that demand excellence, swimming is certainly one that comes to mind. Whether it’s the powerful dives of elite athletes, to the absolute determination of individual swimmers to get across the pool, swimming represents the pinnacle of individual sports events.

We truly are one team: it can be hard at times to recognize the invisible boundaries between upper and lower classmen.

— Kyle Pingree

Though swimming can often be seen as an individual sport, teamwork plays a larger role than one might expect. In the pool, the team works to build a camaraderie that brings together each member. As 4th-year senior swimmer and captain, Kyle Pingree puts it “We truly are one team: it can be hard at times to recognize the invisible boundaries between upper- and lowerclassmen. And that’s a good thing.” When the Monarchs compete, nothing is more important than teamwork. Monarch swimmers find themselves building teamwork through team cheers and prayers, and cheering each other on during the meets themselves. Team bonding is especially important to help get the athletes through the long workouts of the early season.

The relationship between underclassmen and upperclassmen is also vital to ensuring a successful introduction for new athletes. As junior Allen Qi puts it, “on a broader level, the older swimmers will inspire the younger swimmers to do their best.” As new swimmers join the team every year, they rely on more seasoned swimmers to guide them through the world of high school swimming. Even as older swimmers lead new athletes as more experienced swimmers and captains, younger swimmers still support and encourage their fellow teammates. Qi states “even if you’re an experienced swimmer you could still run into hardship sometimes.”

Traditions are a vital part of upholding the team bonding throughout generations of Mitty athletes. For the swim team in particular, the banana cheer led by the varsity captains before each meet is a unique Mitty tradition that gets the team into gear. The cheer consists of a captain holding a banana in the air as the team encourages them to see, peel and eat the banana, followed by a command by the captain to “Go bananas!” while the team cheers and gets together. While seemingly comical, this routine practice at swim meets unites the Monarchs and gets them hyped and ready.

As important as it is to stay focused and to emphasize discipline in athletics, the team shows that fun activities aren’t just about blowing off steam, but also about bringing the team together as one unit. Beyond the more classic traditions like the banana cheer and the prayer before every game, are the smaller moments shared together by athletes. When asked about memories about bonding on the team, sophomore Nick Sifferman recounts how at a varsity meet, the team “laughed and joked while playing games and talking on the bus, along with frozen yogurt and trips to Raising Cane’s.” It’s moments like these that showcase how even when the Monarchs aren’t exhausting themselves in the water, they’re still working hard to build a strong sense of teamwork and camaraderie that sets them up for success. Asked what advice he would give to incoming freshmen, Sifferman stated, “My advice for new freshmen would be to immerse yourself. We are a team, and we all represent each other. I would also advise the freshmen to cheer on their teammates, to build trust and unity.”