As The World Passes By

The Arts & Comics Section explores their influences and the things that inspire them to create.
As The World Passes By
“Despite everything, it’s still you.”
“Despite everything, it’s still you.”

Anni Leonor ’24, Section Editor

-*-

“Throughout my high school journey, I found myself looking at the mirror, gazing at the person that I was, and who I hoped to be. Paralleled by games that changed my life, Undertale by Toby Fox and Omori by Omocat, my reflection is no longer a dream. There are viewpoints of myself that I cannot escape. I can’t escape the reflection I see in the mirror, regardless of whether or not I love or despise what I see.
In spite of this, I can never cross paths with the version of me in the mirror. They are stuck in a single moment in time, while I can live, feel, and breathe the life I lead each and every time I look away. It’s the reality of who I am today, no matter how much time passes, ‘despite everything, it’s still [me].’”

Marino
Marino

Oscar Ortega ‘24, Section Editor

-*-

Influenced by Claudia Bueno’s ‘Pulse’ and designs from Iris van Herpen, I wanted to experiment with shapes of corals and marine microorganisms. This project has made me more appreciative of ocean life and its unique beauty.”

The Flow of Time
The Flow of Time

Anni Leonor ’24, Section Editor

-*-

“As shown by many of the pieces I’ve submitted over the years, video games are an integral part to my formation as a person today. More specifically, as a source of comfort. I most distinctly remember my sophomore year at Mitty, when I was very afraid of the environment around me.

At the end of each day, I would go home to the comfort of a fantasy world of dragons and beasts, seeking guidance from the characters I met along the way. I started comparing my personal issues to the heroes in the stories, making the realization that maybe I don’t have to be so afraid. I took baby steps. I started to be bolder. I started to make friends. And soon enough, I began conquering my own battles in the real world.”

Silver+Sandwich
Silver Sandwich

Anni Leonor ’24, Section Editor

-*-

“Zuko, from Avatar: The Last Airbender, once said: ‘Sometimes clouds have two sides, a dark and light and a silver lining in between.’ Without both the dark and the light, there is no silver. Without the bad and the good, there are no memories, no lessons, nothing to learn from.

Zuko’s character arc taught me that it’s okay to own up to mistakes, bask in the wins, and take the time to better myself as a person. ‘So, when life seems hard, take a bite out of the silver sandwich,’ you never know what awaits.

Until We Fall In Love
Until We Fall In Love

Azure Livingston ‘26

-*-

“— all of my life I spent searching the words of poets and saints and prophets and kings / now at the end all I know that I’ve learned is that all that I know is I don’t know a thing — ‘dust and ashes’”

—Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812
Fortune+Cookies
Fortune Cookies

Zoey Crisan, 25

-*-

“The fortune cookies are meant to represent being Asian-American, while the people on them are traversing the metaphorical landscape of being Asian-American and trying to navigate our identities.

Specks of Time
Specks of Time

Oscar Ortega ‘24, Section Editor

-*-

Partly inspired by the film Everything Everywhere All At Once, I wanted to combine different objects and places in my life. I wondered how it would feel to see it all laid out. Life is often overwhelming and trying to find meaning in it all  is sometimes near impossible. But there are moments that will blur into each other, like paint on a palette, that are worth holding onto.”

Crabs at the Market

Zoey Crisan, 25

-*-

This piece depicts crabs at a Chinese seafood market. Done with watercolor.

Flying from the Cycle

Chloe Hahn, 25

-*-

“For this piece, I drew on my AP art theme, ‘My Dreams’, to depict how my dreams sometimes seem to be stuck in repeating cycles, like a cycle of a washing machine. One prevalent dream I have is about flying, which is what the wing points to. I feel as if —especially this year— my dreams have influenced my pieces a lot.”

Eugeny
Eugeny

Nailah Cannon ’24

-*-

“Eugeny is defined as ‘the nobleness of birth’; it’s also a reference to Eugene Morrow’s character in Gattaca, which is profound in its depiction of the intersectionality of eugenics, racism, and religion.
I was inspired by Kehinde Wiley’s ‘Archaeology of Silence’ exhibition which humanizes victims of racially motivated violence and police brutality; I wanted to do the same in this piece.”

“The lower half of the canvas’ background is reminiscent of “The Sunken Place” from Jordan Peele’s Get Out, to represent the marginalization of people of color, who are the foundation of our country, yet treated with the least amount of dignity and humanity.
Three women clothed in classical white robes mirror the Holy Trinity and represent the stages of grief, suffering, and dehumanization that disempowered and oppressed communities experience: mourning, murder, and finally, death. The centered figure represents religious whitewashing —the omnipresence of white supremacist ideologies disguised as innocence.

Across Generations
Across Generations

Zoey Crisan, 25

-*-

“This piece illustrates my family’s dinner preparations and highlights the similarities between the process of making Chinese dumplings and Romanian sarmale.

Portgas D. Ace

Eva Thomas ’24

-*-

“I recently started watching anime, which has given me a lot more inspiration to draw! One of my most favorite shows is One Piece, and this is my favorite character, Ace.”