The Student News Site of Archbishop Mitty High School

The Monarch

The Monarch

The Monarch

Cornerstone: A Group of Students Dedicated to Service and Community

An overview of the after-school service group program run by Campus Ministry.

On Mondays after school, students slowly trickle off campus as the once bustling school of around 1800 students transitions. However, one group of students has not finished its day at Mitty yet. These students gather in classrooms as they prepare for Cornerstone, an after-school program run by Campus Ministry. The service group started several years ago as the group Micah by underclassmen who wanted more opportunities similar to LIFE Team, a program exclusive for seniors.

Cornerstone is not only a way for students to complete their service hours but also a way for them to connect with their peers and grow as a person. This program primarily focuses on community building both within Mitty and with people outside of the Mitty community. Every other week, the members travel outside of campus to carry out service projects at different locations. Freshmen go to Queen of Apostles and meet the kids in the after-school program, while sophomores and juniors travel on and off campus to places such as soup kitchens, food packaging centers, and the AMHS garden. During youth group meetings where Cornerstone is conducted at Mitty, student leaders hold group prayers, talks, and reflections while breaking out into groups of different grade levels. This focus on social development and interaction seeks to foster growth and compassion within the students in Cornerstone and to allow them to embrace the best versions of themselves while carrying out their faith. 

Cornerstone also provides a safe place for students to relax and open up about school or personal experiences, as well as for them to seek advice from senior leaders or other people in their grade. Asked why others should join Cornerstone, senior leader Rebecca Louderback said, “Cornerstone is a great way of having a break after school with other kids in your class and also other grades. It’s a chance to reflect and take time to leave all your worries behind while connecting with other people.”

Cornerstone is not just about service and helping people outside of Mitty—it has impacted the lives of students as well. A four-year member of the program and current senior leader, Isabella Nicoletti, reflected on her time in Cornerstone and commented, “It’s a great way to build a community and find people that you can rely on. If you’re willing to be open and actually experience it, you can build long-lasting friendships.”

As the Cornerstone program started up for the second semester, Campus Ministry staff member Mr. John Marheineke, who has been involved in Cornerstone for five years and is in charge of scheduling service days for Cornerstone, had this to say: “I would strongly recommend it. It’s a way to build community, fulfill your service requirement, foster deeper relationships, and to support multiple communities in need”.

Though Mitty is constantly changing, Cornerstone will continue to preserve its goals for the community. This program is far more than just a way for students to complete their service hours; it is also a way for them to meet new people, reflect on their faith, and develop as a person.