The Student News Site of Archbishop Mitty High School

The Monarch

The Monarch

The Monarch

Women’s Basketball: Unrivaled

The players of Mitty’s Historic Women’s Basketball Team detail their dominant season as the CCS playoffs conclude with a familiar outcome.

Archbishop Mitty’s Women’s Basketball Team has made great strides this year; it was ranked #1 in the nation across all high schools from notable sources, such as ESPN, MaxPreps, and Sports Illustrated. With an outstanding record of 28-0, our Monarchs remain undefeated throughout the first three months of season. The team has blazed through the competition, winning by an average margin of nearly 40 points. The Monarchs’ biggest victory came a few weeks ago when they demolished Presentation High School 79-8, an impressive showing to say the least. Of course, we can’t mention the team’s successes without highlighting the impressive leadership from Hall of Fame Inductee Coach Sue Phillips. Her determination and love for the game have propelled the Monarchs into the spotlight and above the other teams. In light of their stellar achievements, Archbishop Mitty’s Women’s Basketball Team stands as a beacon of excellence and this may very well be the greatest high school basketball team we have ever seen. 2020 Montverde or 2024 Archbishop Mitty?

The Monarchs maintain top spot in most recent ESPN Power Rankings

But being number one in the nation doesn’t just come with ease. There have to be some keys to success that have allowed this team to be miles ahead of the rest. We went directly to the players and asked them a few questions about what led their team to victory. Junior Princess Mendoza shared some team traditions with us: “We always eat a pregame meal with each other before every game and we do black to blacks during practice which involves running sideline to sideline on the court 10 times in 40 seconds.” Sharing a meal together has become a ritual for this team, fostering camaraderie and strengthening their bonds. The simple act of breaking bread creates a formidable team spirit that goes beyond the scoreboard. 

Even though life-long friendships are forming on this team, to be the best, you must compete against the best. That’s why Princess Mendoza tells us, “We challenge each other every day during practice and support each other along the way”; they push each other to be better. The push for improvement not only enhances their individual skills but also instills a culture of continuous growth, creating a team that constantly evolves and excels together. One of their team goals was even “To keep getting better as a team and carry on the legacy for the Mitty women’s basketball team” as Mendoza tells us. And their undefeated record makes it clear that they were more than on track.  

While the team played games all across the country, they were still excited by the competitiveness of their schedule and were eager to ball out. Traveling outside of the state can be tough for a high school student, but our Monarchs handle this challenge effortlessly. Senior Morgan Cheli tells us that “with every game in Arizona or Oregon, we continued to find our stride.” Even on the road, the team showed their strengths and “really played as a team, shared the ball, and outworked our opponents.” With the conclusion of the regular season, Morgan and the team shares that they looked forward to winning the division.

The team has also had more fun than ever. As junior Jordan Bowar tells us, “Bus rides to away games are always fun. We usually sing most of the way there.” From team meals to singing, the bonding doesn’t stop. “As soon as we’re ready to step off the bus, everyone understands that we need to focus and that we have a game to win.” The team is always locked in when necessary and everyone is committed to doing what it takes. Specifically, Sophomore McKenna Wolizco leads the charge as the 5th ranked player in her class. When asked if she could take the pressure as just a sophomore, McKenna replied “I can respond” and proceeded to drop 36 points in Mitty’s victory over Sacred Heart, surpassing one thousand career points in just her second season; truly remarkable.

I can respond.

— McKenna Wolizco

Mitty’s historically dominant regular season wrapped up recently as they clinched the top seed in the playoffs. The team then proceeded to handle business as they ran through the postseason effortlessly, defeating Saint Francis, Archbishop Riordan and Pinewood by an average point differential of +43 to maintain their perfect record and move onto the CCS Finals. In the finals, the squad’s 88-44 blowout victory over SICP—highlighted by a 30 point outburst from McKenna Woliczko—marked another Open Division Title, their 8th of the decade. Mitty’s program continues to serve as the shining example of how to run any team with excellent and steady coaching and a collection of great players who are all bought into the team. However, the journey does not stop here. With their CCS dominance, the team drew a bye in the first round of the NorCal playoffs, and will host the winner of Cardinal Newman/Folsom on Saturday in the Fien Gymnasium. Cheer on the Monarchs as they defend their title as the best team in the nation!