The Student News Site of Archbishop Mitty High School

The Monarch

The Monarch

The Monarch

Men’s Volleyball: Fried Chicken and Friendships

The Men’s Volleyball team reflects on last season’s success, as they now look to maintain the culture that has allowed for their accomplishments in the wake of new faces and the loss of important members.

The atmosphere is electric. The Monarchs, eager to defeat their rivals—the Bellarmine Bells, stand ready to receive. After a highly contested rally, junior Zach Flynn takes the set 25-23 with a fast kill from the outside, thereby sealing the 3-1 win for the Monarchs.

This victory vs Bellarmine was one of the many highlights that defined the Monarchs’ stellar season last year. Winning WCAL and taking 3rd in CCS, the Men’s Volleyball team ended the year in stunning fashion. However, with seven seniors having left the team, a fresh group of players now hope to continue the success that past seasons have brought the program.

Senior Connor Watson comments, “We lost a lot of seniors from last year going into this season, and it’s going to be a challenge adjusting to the loss of talent, but I’m confident that we as seniors will step up and fill those spots.” Many of the current seniors have known or played with the graduated seniors since they were sophomores, with many of them having helped the Class of ’24 adjust to a new volleyball season after Covid. Due to these relationships, the departure of these seniors will have an impact on the team that goes beyond just their skill, as they will now have to account for the loss of previously established bonds.

Monarchs defeat Valley Christian 3-2 in the WCAL Championship Game

Despite the shift in team dynamics, team traditions have laid the groundwork for the team’s culture, which has made the transition a smooth process for the new generation of Monarchs. When they’re off the court, the team will often stop at Popeyes or Chipotle before and after games to blow off steam. Connor states that this ritual allows the team to connect with each other before they focus up and head to compete.

Back on the court, the team continues their cooperation and teamwork to achieve victory. Beyond just the typical teamwork and perseverance, the players have a special connection that allows them to work with one another in an effective and coordinated manner. Ultimately, they are holding one another accountable and this is key to the Monarchs’ success due to the technical skill demanded in the sport. In volleyball, the actions of any one player can make a crucial difference for each play. From the accuracy of the libeiro’s pass, the height of the setter’s set, and the timing of the hitter’s hit, the entire team must be alert in order to guarantee a successful play. Because of these nuances, it is always essential to maintain good chemistry within the team, and this has been the blueprint for what has made the Monarchs so successful.

Additionally, as a way to fuel focus and chemistry among players on the team, fresh ties are formed long before the season even begins. New players attend the open gyms to get a feel of their teammates, and start building their bonds from that point on to eventually join the unique culture and brotherhood of Mitty Volleyball.

Asked about the rituals of the team, second year varsity player, Alain Malcolm, comments, “That’s a trade secret my boy,” not wanting to reveal what makes this team so special. His job as a senior, now, is to continue building up the culture so that he can keep the exceptional qualities of brotherhood the team has established even after he leaves.

Though the full extent of Monarch volleyball traditions remains a mystery, what is clear is that the camaraderie built between players are relationships that will last a lifetime. Alongside their impressive accolades, the players will remember the downtime they spent with their friends. In the end, it wasn’t just about grabbing a quick bite of Popeyes, but rather establishing connections and leaving an imprint on future generations of Mitty Volleyball.