The Student News Site of Archbishop Mitty High School

The Monarch

The Monarch

The Monarch

Supash Bhat: Spreading Jubilance Through Jazz

Humans of AMHS shares the individual stories within the Mitty community in the student’s own voice. Featured here is Supash Bhat, a member of the class of 2024.

Ever since I was six years old, I have really wanted to pursue music. This desire all started with my wanting to learn guitar, and what kindled my interest was teaching myself classical trumpet and piano. I actuated my skills in the beginning band of my middle school when I began seriously listening to and studying music. Midway through eighth grade, I discovered the music genre of jazz, and I haven’t looked back since. I delved deep into music theory, composition, and the science of music.

Although the pandemic has caused many hindrances, I perceive it as an extremely pivotal point of my musical journey. In this period of time, I fell in love with jazz music, jazz musicians, and their ability to swiftly improvise music. I discovered hundreds of artists who influenced how I play today, and this has led me to find bands to play along with and companies to work with.

The impact of these artists’ works on me was so profound that no mentor or teacher could compare.

At Mitty, I play trumpet for the Wind Ensemble and Jazz Band. Being thrust into a more advanced ensemble, the experience was at first incredibly brutal. Because I had braces, I often found myself coming home with bleeding lips and a heavy head due to the pressure imbalance causing me to nearly pass out during concerts and practice sessions. However, this only made me more determined to build endurance and play more efficiently. It was alongside the Mitty Jazz Band that I had what I believed to be one of my best musical performances. At the Reno Jazz Festival 2023, we were playing Duke Ellington’s “Caravan,” and the song was going really well. When it came to my solo, I finally let my creativity flow. It was an incredibly lucid experience where each note carried all the emotion I held in that moment.

The intersection of physics, mathematics, and music has always been a realm of boundless fascination for me. The intricate patterns and harmonies that lie under musical composition are governed by the same mathematical principles that shape our individual lives. It is this profound connection between mathematics and music that fuels my passion for improvisation—a practice that lies at the heart of jazz music. Whenever I improvise over chord changes or intricate harmonic progressions, I believe myself to be immersed in a mathematical exploration, navigating the endless possibilities of musical structure.

Music serves as more than just a creative outlet for me—it’s a powerful tool for cultivating patience and resilience in the face of life’s challenges. For me, there is a certain therapeutic quality in the repetition of a musical passage, the relentless pursuit of perfection as I strive to achieve the elusive state of “perfect repetition.” Each repetition serves as a meditation, guiding me into a state of focused concentration where only music remains. Moreover, I would like to explore the world of musical composition, crafting original pieces that reflect my unique artistic voice. By studying the works of composers I admire, I strive to expand my creative mind, drawing inspiration from a diverse array of musical traditions and genres.

Music possesses an unparalleled ability to uplift and soothe the soul, offering a refuge of solace in even the darkest times. No matter how difficult my day may have been, I know that I can always find solace in the perfect song, its melody serving as a beacon of hope in a world filled with chaos and uncertainty.