The Student News Site of Archbishop Mitty High School

The Monarch

The Monarch

The Monarch

Apple vs Android

The Ultimate Showdown: Apple vs Android
Apple vs Android

In the world of tech, there is a battle raging hotter than pineapples on pizza: the clash between Apple and Android. In one corner of the ring, we have iOS users proudly showcasing their iconic bitten apple logo. In the other corner, we have Android OS users displaying their wide variety of phones—unwilling to conform to the Apple empire. However, the ongoing battle between Apple and Android isn’t so black and white.

Let’s start with Apple. Once upon a time, in a land not so far away, two guys named Steve and Steve founded Apple on the first of April, 1976. The first-generation iPhone was announced on January 9, 2007; since then, Apple has annually released new iPhone models and iOS updates. On the flip side, we have Androids whose history is less known but just as life-changing. Designed for touchscreen devices, Android was primarily developed by Google, unveiled in November 2007, and officially launched in September 2008. Now, various smartphones use the Android operating system, with Samsung and Google’s Pixel being the most notable.

However, with all this talk about the stories behind Apple and Android, it’s hard to ignore the elephant in the room: does it even matter which phone you choose?

Emily Liu (’26) uses a Google Pixel 3 and when asked about what features she loves best about her phone she states, “I don’t really like anything, to be honest. Everything is slow and it crashes sometimes because it’s also pretty old.” Similarly, Laila Wang (’26) uses a Miui and remarks, “Why can I literally not join group chats with this phone, and why is the messaging color scheme so funky? Also it screws up the colors when I try to take sky pics and doesn’t have a lot of storage.” Both Emily and Laila answered that they would be willing to switch to an Apple device.

“I don’t have anything against Android, but I wouldn’t switch because my family and friends use Apple—it’s just more convenient.”

However, another sophomore who uses a OnePlus is more optimistic about his phone. The features he likes best include configuring Android to run venv environments and sideloading. When asked about his willingness to switch phone brands, he said only if “my current phone ceases to function, which would likely happen within a decade or two.” This goes to show that not all Android users are pessimistic about their phones.

From the iPhone 11 to the iPhone 14 Pro Max, the Apple users we interviewed shared similar feelings: a love for the phone’s various customization features thanks to shortcuts, a hand always reaching to open Instagram, and a strong unwillingness to switch to Android. When asked why they wouldn’t want to switch, one student commented, “I don’t have anything against Android, but I wouldn’t switch because my family and friends use Apple—it’s just more convenient with the other students sharing the sentiment.

In a world dominated by the Apple ecosystem, Android phones leave their users sticking out like a sore thumb—especially with the green texts.

Unanimously, the students we surveyed—Apple and Android users—preferred Apple, raising yet another question: what’s with the strong preference for Apple and their iOS? Ultimately, it boils down to peer pressure. Even though Androids have more unique features—open source and a back button—while costing less than your standard iPhone, it’s still hard to leave Apple and stick with Android. In a world dominated by the Apple ecosystem, Android phones leave their users sticking out like a sore thumb—especially with the green texts. While we have our doubts that the war over Apple vs. Android will ever die down, we don’t doubt the subtle pressure to fit in plays a more significant role in choosing your phone. 

This poll has ended.

Which do you prefer: Apple or Android?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.