The Student News Site of Archbishop Mitty High School

The Monarch

The Monarch

The Monarch

What Makes the Perfect Red Carpet Interviewer?

A spotlight on perhaps the most important part of award show season: the red carpet interviews.

As award show season unfolds, the entertainment industry buzzes with excitement, ready to showcase the best of the best talent. Viewers all around the world eagerly tune in to witness the glitz and glamour of the red carpet, and the anticipation builds as the most star-studded red carpets like the Golden Globes, Emmys, Oscars, and Grammys overtake cafeteria conversations and Academy debates alike.

But beyond the elegant gowns, expensive suits, and lavish diamonds, the red-carpet interviewer plays an important role in capturing the audience and grounding events which often soar well over the heads of us non-Hollywooders. The ideal interviewer possesses charm, wit, and most importantly a passion for interviewing celebrities.

We’ve seen time and time again how important interviewers are in terms of making celebrities feel comfortable enough to share what designer they are wearing, what project they are currently working on, and even the stories behind their success. A successful red-carpet interviewer has confidence yet an approachable manner. This can immediately relax the interviewee, encouraging them to elaborate and share more than just rehearsed answers. 

In addition to this, having a strong understanding of the entertainment industry and being able to think on their feet is also very important when keeping an audience engaged.  A great interviewer will invest time researching and getting to know every person they will be interviewing. Learning about their recent projects, and any personal milestones ensures that the questions will be insightful and personal for each individual. This preparation displays the interviewer’s dedication and can allow for more meaningful interviews.

Emma Chamberlain and Jack Harlow’s famous interview at 2022 Met Gala for Vogue

A perfect example of someone who checks off all of these qualities is Emma Chamberlain. She became widely known through her YouTube vlogs where people saw her as a relatable, down-to-earth person. This start to her career advanced her to interviewing A-listers on the red carpet. In her interviews, she is able to connect with celebrities in a way that feels more genuine and less scripted. Take, for example, her interview with Jack Harlow at the Met Gala in 2022. Her interview with him went viral for showcasing Harlow’s charisma with its casualness.

Also, Chamberlain’s audience mostly consists of younger viewers, bringing a wider audience to the red carpet. Her relatability, humor, and wit have made her interviewing process enjoyable for not only the audience but also the celebrities being interviewed. 

During the ongoing award season, the red carpet plays an important  part in the event providing guests with the opportunity to make memorable entrances, wear extravagant looks, smile for pictures, and most importantly take part in entertaining interviews. It’s also clear that the attraction of red carpets lies not only in the glitz and glamour but also in the creativity of those who expertly capture the attention and trust of celebrities.