The Student News Site of Archbishop Mitty High School

The Monarch

The Monarch

The Monarch

Wrestling: A Rigorous Preparation

Mitty wrestlers dive into the preparation and challenges that come with the sport.

Wrestling is a testament to unwavering dedication, strategic skill, and the unshakeable spirit shown by its athletes. As they step onto the mat, they start on a journey that demands unparalleled commitment, both individually and collectively.

Preparation for wrestling matches or tournaments is a heavy task that requires more than just physical training. It requires mental stability, discipline, and an unyielding dedication to be great.

Alyssia Ursu, a two-year Mitty wrestler, spoke to us about the grueling conditioning sessions and intense sparring exercises that define the wrestler’s journey. She articulated the challenges of navigating strict dietary regimes while ensuring physical strength remains intact. These examples highlight how wrestling differs from other sports. Although all sports require training outside of games, wrestling is one of the most mentally demanding and it could even be that the mental state outweighs the physical.

Mitty wrestler Grace Saso echoed this sentiment, emphasizing the sport’s demands on individual commitment and mental resilience. She highlighted the challenges of not allowing personal doubts to interfere with performance, a sentiment that resonates with many wrestlers experiencing the mental rigors of the sport. This mental toughness is especially important during match days. Tournament days unfold into sequences of matches, filled with moments of anticipation, adrenaline-pumping bursts, and non-stop physical exertion. These days test the resilience and fortitude of every wrestler who steps onto the mat. The challenges demand not just physical prowess but mental awareness and steady determination.

Yet another dimension for these wrestlers is their ability to juggle the taxing sport along with their academic responsibilities. Even for the best wrestlers, balancing academics and athletics poses a unique challenge. Wrestling seasons are grueling, often leaving little time for academics. Yet, during the exhaustive training schedules, these athletes display amazing time management skills, succeeding both in the arena and in their studies. 

However, the true essence of the wrestling experience lies beyond the individual struggles. Every player has their own struggles, but there is a drive fostered within the team because they want everyone, collectively, to get through these. From the training sessions to the moments of triumph and occasional setbacks, teammates stand united, offering support, guidance, and encouragement.

Although teammates do serve as a backbone to each other, coaches also play a central role to the development of these wrestlers. These mentors play a pivotal part in shaping both technical skills and character. Alongside personal growth, these guiding figures instill discipline and a strong work ethic that extends beyond the wrestling mat. Ultimately, one of the toughest sports also manifests the best qualities in its athletes. It epitomizes the spirit of perseverance, showing a side that goes beyond individual accomplishments, and preparing these athletes for the challenges that await them far beyond the world of wrestling.