The Student News Site of Archbishop Mitty High School

The Monarch

The Monarch

The Monarch

The Ever-Evolving World of the Library

A glimpse into the library from present to future.

Upon entering the Timothy M. Brosnan Library, you may notice the long tables to the right filled with students sitting at squeaky rolling chairs, or to the left, tables packed with students having conversations on the fought-over, infamous comfy red chairs.

But what one may not notice is the team that makes the library, a library. Librarian Ms. Timpone as well as Librarian Specialists Mr. H-Z and Ms. Townzen are the pillars of knowledge and guidance within the walls of the library. As a librarian, Ms. Timpone helps build the library’s vast collection of books, working to get newer books on the shelves. Working with several vendors and bookstores within the community to add new books, both Mr. H-Z and Ms. Townzen help append books to the Online Catalog.

Recently, they have begun a new process of designating books by genres. According to Ms. Townzen, the library includes “Romance, Mystery, Thriller, Science Fiction, Historical Fiction, and Coming of Age.” Additionally, the library also includes a genre known as Own Voices, works are authored by people of color and underrepresented groups. Ms. Timpone adds that “if a new book comes in that we know is a mystery book or a book of any other genre, we’ll make sure to put it in their respective sections.”

Librarian Specialists Mr. H-Z and Ms. Townzen also work as resources-professionals students can come to for help. Responsible for student behavior within the library, Mr. H-Z noted that “We have a line between having to get students back in check and getting them focused, while also being welcoming and nice, making sure students get comfortable.”

As Archbishop Mitty alumni, Mr. H-Z and Ms. Townzen can see some of the library’s changes. Since its last major renovation back in 2001, the addition of study rooms as well as changing the silent study area into Classroom 202 have been the most significant changes. Ms. Townzen adds that “We also didn’t have a real head librarian until last year—there was a ten-year gap.” Despite these relatively small changes, the library holds many plans for the future. The library’s next new goal is to update the nonfiction section, as well as add new furniture.