A Look Into How Clubs Embraced Halloween

A look into a variety of ways Mitty’s clubs celebrated Halloween of 2023.

From cookie and cupcake decorating to students dressing up in eventful costumes, Halloween at Mitty was a day to remember. Students and faculty wore various costumes from animal onesies to characters from their favorite shows. Even more, various clubs included some Halloween fun in their club meetings on October 31. 

On The Same Page, a club where students share their love for reading, had some sweet Halloween treats and an enjoyable pumpkin decorating activity for their Halloween club meeting.

“It was pretty different from our traditional meetings, but we thought it’d be fun to get into the spirit of Halloween with something relaxing.”

— Anika Butanti '25

With various colorful paints and little pumpkins to choose from, it was definitely a fun time to relax and explore one’s creative talent. Along with painting pumpkins and feasting on some Halloween candies, Gilmore Girls played in the background, which really fit the fall vibe.

Over at Monarch Media, a club where members produce and review creative media, students discussed the origin of horror media, from the earliest artistic depictions of supernatural creatures to the oldest spooky stories, and how those contributed to the immense collection of horror novels, TV shows, and films that we know today. The discussion was driven by the officers and club members where students would guess the horror movie or TV show based on one image and offer their commentary on or review of it. “Students seemed really enthusiastic and familiar with almost every movie being discussed,” remarked senior Sanjana Bhupathi, one of the officers of Monarch Media. 

Afterward, they had a costume contest where students got to showcase their unique costumes. Some of the costumes included cultural references to students’ heritage while others were dedicated to their favorite TV characters. Bhupati recounted, “I really liked the participation of the members during the meeting and their contributions to the discussion by identifying the horror media that they were familiar with and interested in.”