Comfort and Confidence: The Case for Sweatpants

Perhaps it’s time for schools to reconsider their bans on sweatpants.

As students transition from middle school to high school, they soon realize that they are no longer allowed to wear a type of clothing that used to bring them such comfort: sweatpants. In cases where a freshman can no longer wear the pants in their wardrobe and has to buy new ones, this is a major inconvenience.

But what gives schools the insatiable urge to remove a child from comfort?

But what gives schools the insatiable urge to remove a child from comfort? A supporter of this anti-sweatpants policy argues that sweatpants give off the impression of being unmotivated and sleepy. Calling it an educational measure, Moritz Lohmann—the educational director of a German high school—also says, “Clothing that is appropriate on the couch at home may not be appropriate at school.” While Lohmann may be right about keeping a boundary between the standards at home and those at school, students should still feel comfortable in what they wear to school. The looseness of sweatpants doesn’t distract other people, isn’t overly baggy, and most of all, doesn’t actually make you unmotivated and sleepy! In fact, wearing uncomfortable clothing like khakis, jeans, and dress pants can make students lose focus, which is counterproductive to the purpose of education.

Wearing uncomfortable clothing like khakis, jeans, and dress pants can actually make students lose focus, which is counterproductive to the purpose of education.

Another argument against sweatpants is that they are not considered professional attire. Schools claim wearing casual clothing like sweatpants gives off the impression that a student is not “taking their education seriously.” First off, sweatpants, unless closely investigated, are not that noticeable—meaning they don’t give any unusual impression to either a student or a teacher. Secondly, besides pants, what other type of clothing gives off an unprofessional impression by being loose and comfortable? Students wear t-shirts and jackets instead of button-ups and suits all the time for more comfort, but no one says that they are unprofessional and lazy. Why should this suddenly change when we talk about pants?

Students wear t-shirts and jackets instead of button-ups and tuxedos all the time for more comfort, but no one says that they are unprofessional and lazy.

Are sweats less professional than t-shirts?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

People usually wear sweatpants for comfort; most people believe being comfortable is good. But if the reasoning behind the ban of sweatpants in school is because they are too comfortable, then maybe we should start considering why “comfortable” can’t exist in school.

Maybe we should start considering why “comfortable” shouldn’t exist in school.