The Student News Site of Archbishop Mitty High School

The Monarch

The Monarch

The Monarch

Greatness Awaits New Members of Campus Ministry

Two new faculty members join the department this year.

As new students began stepping foot on campus in the 2023-2024 school year, new staff members were warmly welcomed in as well. Ms. Roksana Gorgolewski and Ms. Shannon McLeod are two such teachers, both now part of Mitty’s Campus Ministry. As they gradually familiarize themselves with the daily hustle and bustle of life on campus, they aspire to improve Campus Ministry in every way they can.

Having graduated from Mitty in 2019, Ms. G has returned as a Campus Ministry intern, and her work primarily involves coordinating the morning prayer, LIFE Team, and Cornerstone. She also facilitates LIFE Team social events, manages social media, and attends retreats. 

While her day-to-day work varies greatly, she predominantly focuses on planning events and connecting with students through socials and prayer. On LIFE Team Nights, she gets the opportunity to guide the senior class through exploring their faith and God’s call to serve their community. She witnesses “dedicated students, willing and able to take time to help plan liturgies and retreats, make and edit Mitty Minutes, and so much more which lights my heart on fire.”

Ms. G also facilitates Morning Prayer, where a new theme is explored each weekday, cycling through meditation, sainthood, justice, traditional prayer, and gospel in a five-day week. Lastly, Ms. G is involved in Cornerstone, where she organizes youth group opportunities that help students develop their faith and foster sacred memories.

Ms. McLeod is mainly responsible for coordinating Immersion trips. In addition, she directs retreats, helps out with the LIFE Team, and teaches two freshman Journey Thru Scripture classes. 

Ms. McLeod

A day at Mitty for Ms. McLeod is mostly spent in her office as she only teaches one class a day, leaving her time to focus on planning programs and class activities. During the week, she looks forward to Tuesdays, when she can participate in engaging LIFE Team activities. On other days, she is excited to spend her time at sporting events, plays, retreats, and Cornerstone. 

Ms. McLeod works with LIFE Team members and respects their creative efforts and sacrifices. “I have been so impressed by the members of LIFE Team,” she says. “They work really hard and are very committed to bringing Mitty charism alive on campus.” Alongside LIFE Corps, Ms. McLeod plans and structures the Immersion trip program. 

The advanced infrastructure at Mitty in the justice-oriented Immersion programs and the commitment students bring motivate Ms. McLeod. “I feel great honor and responsibility to coordinate and keep the traditions of these programs,” she states. Before the 2023-2024 school year, she was able to go on the LIFE Corps retreat, familiarizing herself with the retreat structure and meeting senior leaders. Not long after, she went on to lead the first session of Quest. Soon, she will lead freshman Awakening and senior Kairos retreats in February. 

With these new members comes new hope. Ms. Jamie Visser, director of Campus Ministry, has high expectations for these new staff members, and the impact they will bring. “They come with great experience and enthusiastic energy,” she states. “I hope they will improve the programs we already have in place and am grateful for new ideas they are already sharing.”